At First Presbyterian, you will meet people at many different places theologically and spiritually. And we love it that way. We want to be a place where our diversity brings us together and where conversation takes us all deeper in our understanding of God. We call this kind of faith “Spacious Christianity.” We don’t ask anyone to sign creeds or statements of belief. The life of faith is about a way of being in the world and a faith that shows itself in love.
Spacious Christianity is a way of wisdom and practice in the footsteps of Jesus of Nazareth. This path is a commitment to the complexity of community, to the paradox of both/and, to transformation of soul, mind and body, and to the flourishing of a just and whole earth. The Jewish and Christian Scriptures are our sacred guide along centuries-old paths that lead us into the universal love of God. Spacious Christianity invites us to tell our stories and welcome questions as we delight in the larger Mystery that draws us into a future that is more than we can ask or imagine, living lives of hope, healing and purpose.
We are an evolving, justice-seeking, fiercely caring community practicing Spacious Christianity. Questions and doubts are welcome. We celebrate our differences and see them as strengths. We journey with curiosity about God’s story and our place in it. We yearn and work for the flourishing of all Creation.
Living the spacious and radical love of Jesus so that all might flourish.
- Rooted- We celebrate more than 100 years of deep roots and rich history living our faith, expressing love, and seeking justice here on the ancestral lands of the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs.
- Creative- We Take risks, experiment, and begin bold adventures. We also fail, learn, change and grow.
- Spacious- We offer a welcoming, safe space to be vulnerable, inviting each other to be our whole and authentic selves. We embrace questions and the mystery of faith.
- Belonging- We support one another, holding sacred space for life’s joy and pain. We celebrate our differences, delighting in all God’s children.
- Partners- We focus outward, build partnerships of mutuality, and collaborate to create opportunities where all can flourish.