Embodying Spacious Christianity
At First Presbyterian, you will meet people at many different places theologically and spiritually. And we love it that way. We want to be a place where our diversity brings us together and where conversation takes us all deeper in our understanding of God. We call this kind of faith “Spacious Christianity.” We don’t ask anyone to sign creeds or statements of belief. The life of faith is about a way of being in the world and a faith that shows itself in love.
Spacious Christianity is a way of wisdom and practice in the footsteps of Jesus of Nazareth. This path is a commitment to the complexity of community, to the paradox of both/and, to transformation of soul, mind and body, and to the flourishing of a just and whole earth. The Jewish and Christian Scriptures are our sacred guide along centuries-old paths that lead us into the universal love of God. Spacious Christianity invites us to tell our stories and welcome questions as we delight in the larger Mystery that draws us into a future that is more than we can ask or imagine, living lives of hope, healing and purpose.
Some commitments that our community holds.
- We are committed to the way of wisdom and practice in the footsteps of Jesus.
- We believe encounter with “the other” (God, individuals, cultures, nature) is the primary path to transformation.
- We invite all to join us in the path of Jesus in which the outer and inner selves are integrated and we grow into wholeness in body, mind and spirit.
- The Jewish and Christian scriptures are the centuries-old paths that lead us into the universal love of God.
- We yearn and work for a just and whole earth.
- We welcome questions, believing they lead us to delight in the larger Mystery that draws us into a future that is more than we can ask or imagine.
Creating spaces of grace to cultivate hope, healing and purpose.
- Accepting and honoring people as they are.
- Nurturing each individual’s God-given purpose and call to serve.
- Embodying the pioneering spirit of Central Oregon.
- Connecting in a caring community.
First Presbyterian Bend. Embodying Spacious Christianity.
Worship Sundays at 9:00am, 10:45am and 6:00pm. Worship Schedule >>.
Spacious Christianity Essays: An essay collection written by Pastor Steven Koski, Pastor Jenny Warner and Intern Pastor Ron Werner. Each essay explores a commitment of Spacious Christianity. PIck up your copy of Spacious Christianity: Generous, Wholehearted, Inclusive Faith at the church office, 230 NE Ninth Street or call or email the church office to have a copy mailed. 541 382 4401 or [email protected].