February is American Heart Month
Other Articles in:
February is American Heart Month, and while it’s a good idea to care for our hearts every day of the year, now is a particularly great time to focus on holistic ways to combat heart disease. According to the World Health Organization, cardiovascular diseases are the No. 1 cause of death globally. Here are a few ways to give your heart a little extra love:
- Choose heart-healthy foods(oats, fruits and vegetables including kiwi and spinach, probiotic-rich yogurt and even dark chocolate)
- Sweat It Out! American Heart Association recommends at least 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise, 75 minutes of vigorous activity, or a combination of both.
- Just Breathe Adding a little Zen to your daily routine might just extend your life. Try centering praying or meditation or even one of our Yoga or Tai Chi classes offered at the church.
- Practice Gratitude There’s evidence that gratitude can help fend off heart disease, so be sure to say thanks today.
- Get Some Rest Lack of sleep can take a toll on our heart. Avoid caffeine late in the day, turn off technology atleast one hour before bed, exercise regularly and stick to a sleep schedule to keep your body’s clock running smoothly.